I recently decided that I wanted to find a tasty, alcohol-free, evening beverage. I love a good mai tai and I wondered if I couldn't alter my favorite mai tai recipe. What makes this mai tai so good is the ginger liquer, but I didn't want the alcohol so I made ginger syrup.
I made this recipe up—feel free to play with the amounts. Combine the following ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, simmer for about 20 minutes. Cool. Strain. Put in a bottle or jar. Refrigerate.
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup water with approximately (I'm going to try this with honey next time)
- 1 tablespoon of thinly sliced ginger.
(FYI- this is really good stuff. I think it would be a nice flavoring for tea, or even water.)
Here's the drink I came up with. I'm calling it…
- Orange juice (I prefer a brand with no added sugar)
- 1-2 tablespoons of ginger syrup (recipe above)
- Optional: a splash of grenadine
- A straw dipped in hot sauce (I like Frostbite).
To make a Gingerfire OJ, add 1-2 tablespoons of ginger syrup to a glass. Fill the glass 2/3 full with orange juice, stir. Add ice. (I use ice from Sonic. Crushed ice would be good, or just regular ice if that suits you.)
The fire comes from the hot sauce. Dip a straw into the bottle of hot sauce to coat the inside and outside of the bottom 1/3 of the straw. Unless you want lots of fire, do not put your finger over the end of the straw! Stir the drink with the hot straw. Garnish with fruit, or not.