Today the final touches were put on the remodel at Chris and Lorna's. I admit that I allowed some mission creep. I could not call the job finished without replacing an awful window over the kitchen sink that overlooks the newly remodeled side deck. And the boards on the side and back decks were really slick when wet and needed to be made safer.
I read an op-ed piece last week that I can't find to link to now, but in it the author was lamenting the loss of craftsmanship. As I remember it, he said that we used to be a nation of tool users and now – not so much. I suspect that that is correct and that most of you have never replaced a window. So here's a quick look at what we did.
The old windows (and there are 9 more that I am ignoring) are single-pane aluminum windows with an additional aluminum storm window. This is a different window but they all look like this.
Taking out the old window was slow and sort of hard. The storm window came off more easily once Steve figured out where all of the screws were. The inside window was another story. After nearly an hour I finally googled it. What little I found suggested breaking the glass and cutting the aluminum which is what we ended up doing. I was too busy trying to be helpful to take photos. (Did I mention that it's even hotter now?)
We never did figure out how the original installers put the old window in. It made no sense. But eventually we took the bits apart enough to find all the screws. We ended up having to remove most of the wood that the old window had been attached to.
The new window came with flanges that, as it turns out, were never going to fit in the opening. Luckily they were vinyl and Steve cut off what needed to be removed. He screwed the window into the opening through window casing. Then I filled in the gaps between the window and walls with foam insulation.
And a detail…
That was Friday. Saturday we went back to trim the window, inside and out. I don't know if you ever think about what lies under the trim/moulding in your house but it's often kind of ugly. Trim helps a whole lot! And caulk to fill the gaps doesn't hurt either.
We decided that the two decks needed to have a gritty finish on them to keep us all from slipping. I went to Lowe's and found out the oil-based porch paint sprinkled with some stuff that looks a lot like fine salt is what was called for. Steve power-washed both decks several days ago and they were dry enough today to paint.
Back deck before:
It's a surprisingly calm, almost boring color which keeps the focus on the door and wall colors.
Here's the side deck, before:
It takes oil-based paint 2 days to dry so I don't know yet if the gritty stuff is gritty enough but I do hope so. I painted the trim on the new window this morning too. None of this painting took that long and it makes such a difference in the way the area looks.
So that's it – mission accomplished! Now I'm going back to choosing fabric for the 2nd door quilt.