Lindsay Fulmer emailed with photos and a story of her Spring Wheels quilt. She wrote:
I came across the Spring Wheels pattern from the Once Upon a Season book many years ago when I was a beginner quilter. A few years ago when I felt as though I could take on the quilt, I decided to just pull up my big girl pants and do it. I used a white on white Lakehouse dot for the background and each wheel has a unique Kaffe Fassett fabric. I have been collecting his fabrics for years.
The quilt won first place for Large Contemporary and Viewers Choice at the Flying Geese Quilt Guild show called “Harvest of Quilts”. It’s also been shown at Road 2 California. I had Judi Madsen of Green Fairy Quilts do the machine quilting – all done on a long arm however not computerized. The only requirement I had of her was to not quilt on the Kaffe fabric, just on the white. Otherwise, she had full reign over the quilt. Click here to see Judi’s blog post.
Recently my husband found my quilt on Facebook….he had seen a post from his childhood art teacher. It’s amazing the power of social media! There are over 26k likes at this point. Click here to see that post.
Lindsay, let me add that I think you made a fantastic quilt! Congratulations on the acclaim you are getting for it. For those of you who haven’t made Spring Wheels, I think we would both say that it is too much fun to miss out on.
Both of my nieces, sisters Alea and Rachel, had babies in July. I don't always promise a baby quilt because I can't always get one made but this time I did promise. To both of them. And I finished both quilts before the babies were much more than 1 month old! Here is the quilt made for Annabelle Grace:
Rachel requested color combined with black and white. I decided to play with progressions of color and size to give Annabelle something to think about. Small strips lead to larger strips, light yellow blends to darker blue. The dark blue strips are centered and act as an axis in the design.
I wrote her name in my best longhand and enlarged it to make a template. I used the cutaway applique technique and appliqued it in place with perle cotton.
The quilting is fun! I quilted lines in the strips but switched to flowers in the prints. (Note: you can click on any of these photos to see it larger.)
I made this quilt to hold up to wear and washing. The more it is washed the softer it will be. I mostly used prints so that stains won't show so much. If it gets dragged around on the floor – that's just fine. I hope Annabelle uses it for a very long time.
Tomorrow I'll show Addyson's quilt…
We have 2 pregnant nieces; both are having girls in mid-August. I promised baby quilts. (I also promised the AAQI Quilt, a 12" block for a magazine, and I can't remember what else between August 1 and 15. Oh my.)
But back to this story… I put together the background for baby quilt #1 before I left home. I'm going to use the butterfly pattern and the stitching techniques from Applique With Attitude for this quilt. I plan to machine quilt the background with lots of lines. I think it's going to need lines to calm it down, pull it all together, and to make the butterflies stand out.
I think it's easy for those of us who applique, or who quilt in general, to try to put too much on a baby quilt. I want them to use this quilt. If the quilt has too much 'wonderful' applique, it might end up folded in a drawer, saved for the special occasion that never comes because it might get dirty.
This quilt is going to be pretty and fun and very use-able. And if the baby makes a mess on it it's likely going to be hard to see amid all that pattern.